Oral Communication Skills for International Scholars
This is a six-week, non-credit course to help international graduate students and post-doctoral scholars improve their fluency, pronunciation, and understanding of naturally spoken English in the academic context. The class size is limited to 12 persons and is held in person on campus.
- Improved pronunciation of sounds challenging to each individual (per needs assessment)
- Improved comprehension of natural, rapid speech
- Use of correct patterns of intonation, word stress, and sentence stress
- Familiarity with strategies to increase comprehension and comprehensibility
Each week’s class includes 3 elements:
- a speech act (e.g. presentation) by you,
- content about language, and
- tools for you to use (expressions, vocab, tricks, resources)
2021 Course dates were Mondays and Thursdays, 1:30-2:30pm, from September 23 to November 2, 2021.
In order to participate in fall 2022, you must be able to attend all 12 one-hour sessions, and do approximately 4 hours of language work each week outside of class. That means checking your schedule for conflicts, and getting assurance to me (Belinda) from your advisor or IOR that s/he will not ask you to miss any of the six classes for other work/meetings.
For more information or express an interest in the course for fall 2022, email Belinda.